Finding the right career can be a bit difficult in this country, with the influx of new graduates every year, the job market is getting more and more competitive as the day goes by. That is why you have to hone your skills and make the right decisions when choosing a career.
Whether its finding a new job, getting a promotion or changing career directions, your next best career move is at your fingertips.
There are things you have to master as a professional in your field. People always imagine that getting a job is the last bus stop, heck no. Your career growth ladder extends beyond getting a new job. Aside from clinching the job, you have to ensure that it fits into your career goals and it will help you move to the next level.
The Next Level
Your next best career move is getting to the next level. It could be getting a promotion, acquiring more skills, getting that dream job, becoming more relevant at work, you are the author of your next best career move. We can only provide a few tips; the rest is left to you.
Tips For the Next Level
- Build Your Work Bucket List: Every job is temporary, you need to do research and keep a list of companies you will be interested in working. Put your job search in high gear, use LinkedIn actively, connect with people who work in these companies. Research has revealed that eighty per cent of job opportunities come by referral. Your network is your net worth in your career, ensure that you diligently build your network.
- Take an Online Course: These days, companies say they cannot find the talent they need. As a result, people are embracing online training. Now you can take an online class, pay a token to get certified and post it on your social media profile for recruiters to see. It has been predicted that in the future we will all be required to take online courses on a regular basis to keep skills current. Check out Coursera, Lynda.com, MIT Opencourses, now is the time for you to take that online course.
- Use LinkedIn: With more than 400 million users and growing daily by two people per second, LinkedIn is the largest and most respected professional network in the world. Every day, more and more recruiters are using LinkedIn to find suitable candidates for their job openings. That is why you have to carefully build your LinkedIn, make connections, get endorsements and establish yourself as an authority in your field of expertise so that you can be easily found.
- Read: We come across so many online articles daily, over time we just view the topics and skip the articles. it’s time to shake things up and find new reading sources. Look for fresh perspectives that will challenge your thinking and keep you engaged. They say diversity of thought is the key to creativity.
- Don’t quit: Everyone loves a good comeback story although we all make mistakes. You might have failed a job interview or flunked an aptitude test, it’s time to make the most of your failure. Use the Experience + Learning = Grow model to plan a way to leverage what you learned from the failure. One way or another, your failure will make you a better professional.